(New York: Vintage, 1990), 194
- St. Thomas More: "I believe, when statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties...they lead their country by a short route to chaos" (22).
- Thomas More: "We must just pray that when your head's finished turning, your face is to the front again" (31).
- Thomas More: "The service of God is not a dishonor to any office" (46).
- Thomas More: "Well...finally...it isn't a matter of reason; finally it's a matter of love" (141).
- "I die the King's good servant, but God's first." (cf. Rom-14)