Sleeping With Your Smartphone by Leslie A. Perlow
How to Break the 24/7 Habit and Change the Way you Work: all about her work with BCG to implement PTO to bring more predictability and work-life balance to their crazy consulting schedules.
- this book shares the BCG story and is a guide for implementing PTO in your organization
- "The Cycle of Responsiveness": always on leads to expectation to be always on in vicious cycle --> you need to set expectations
- PTO = predictability + teaming + open communication
Part I: How A Team Turns Off
- started with one predictable night off per week
- reinstated the "Pulse check"
- How are you feeling?
- How much value are we delivering to the client?
- How satisfied are you with your learning?
- Is the current operating model sustainable for you?
- PTO: Collective goal of predicable time off + Structured dialogue = Better work and better lives
- Collective goal must be:
- Personally valued by everyone
- Doable but still a stretch
- Collective and shared
- Requires integrative thinking
- A means, not just an end
- Structured dialogue
Chapter 5: writing a daily update to a team blog makes you think twice about what you to do make sure it is value added
Part II: The Magic of the Process
Part III: Getting Started On Your Team
- the team leader's role is critical: they must be on board and read this to be successful (naturally)
- gives example slides and meeting agenda for introducing this to a team
Part IV: From Team to Organization
- have organizational "PTO facilitators"