The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
(Grand Rapids: Chosen/Baker, 1971/2006), 253
"There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still." (8, 227)
- "Father would take the train to Amsterdam each week to bring back the time from the Naval Observatory..." (20)
- Spiritual Disciplines: "Scripture reading at 8:30 each morning for all who were in the house was another of the fixed points around which life in the Beje revolved." (23)
- Autodidact: Father "had gone one to teach himself history, theology, and literature in five languages" (37)
- Parenting (42)
- >"Father, what is sexsin?"
- >He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case from the rack over our heads, and set it on the floor.
- >"Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?" he said.
- >I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.
- >"It's too heavy," I said.
- >"Yes,", he said. "And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you."
- >And I was satisfied. More than satisfied—wonderfully at peace. There were answers to this and all my hard questions—for now I was content to leave them in my father's keeping.
- "Happiness isn't something that depends on our surroundings, Corrie. it's something we make inside ourselves." (50)
- "There are no 'ifs' in God's world. And no places that are safer than other places. The center of his will is our only safety." (84)
- "Books do not age as you and I do. They will speak still when we are gone, to generations we will never see. yes, the books must survive." (90)
- "We didn't know the political views of all these people. But God did! My job was simply to follow His leading one step at a time, holding every decisions up to Him in prayer." (99)
- Memorize Scripture: "The Bible lay at home on its shelf, but much of it was stored in his heart." (149)
- "But...if the Gospels were truly the pattern of God's activity, then defeat was only the beginning." (164)
- >There are no "ifs" in God's kingdom. His timing is perfect. His will is our hiding place. Lord Jesus, keep me in Your will! (234)
- "And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself." (248)
Ref World War II